I don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or my SIN begins with a 9. What should I do?

The Social Insurance Number is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to federal government programs and benefits such as Job Bank. The SIN indicates that you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and are eligible to work in Canada.


If you don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you may apply for a SIN.


If your SIN begins with a 9, it means that it’s not permanent. These SINs are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents.


If you are not eligible for a permanent SIN, here’s what you can do:

  • You can apply for the Express Entry program on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website if you wish to be matched to jobs. Your Express Entry credentials will allow you to create a Plus account to access Job Match.
  • You can create a Standard account to access the Resume-Builder and the Career Tools. You can also keep track of you favorited jobs and your job search activity.
  • You can subscribe to Job Alerts to receive everyday new job postings that match your search criteria.
  • You can access job postings and labour market information available on the Job Bank website to help you with your job search.
  • You can apply for jobs available on Job Bank without creating an account.
  • You can use Job Bank mobile app to search for jobs easily when you’re on the go.


Note: If you don’t have a SIN or if it begins with a 9, you won’t be able to use it to create a Plus account for Job Seekers or a user account for Employers on Job Bank.

Was this answer helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback.

Date modified: